Natural Bug RepellantsJul 26, 2022
The mosquitos seem brutal this season- maybe they are as irritated as the rest of the world seems to be and taking it out on those of us who have great blood or something.
Many of you have heard me preach before- what you put on your skin MATTERS, like a whole heck of a lot! There are tons of yucky chemicals used in over the counter bug repellants. While there is no doubt they do work, are there less harmful products on the market that have less side effects? But do they work? YES! You just have to find the one that works for you.
While you may never know if your hormones are thrown off by slathering with bug spray all summer, why even take a chance if there is an alternative?
I will list all of the products that I use here...but if you are a DYI kind of gal/guy... then please check out the recipe below from Mountain Rose Herbs. Get your essential oils from them or from my friend Allison at doTERRA.
Several things I love and use on the regular...
Hands down my favorite is Oil of Cajeput on a cotton swab rubbed all over exposed parts- I do suggest putting it in a carrier oil, then applying, as it is very strong. Oil of Cajeput works really well for chiggers too! My favorite company to buy it from was Pure Herbs but it has been discontinued so Mountain Rose Herbs is your next best choice.
I also love the Nature Spray from Primally Pure. It smells less strong than the Cajeput but still works well.
I was at an outdoor event for Beautycounter a few weeks ago where the flies were out of control. I had limited options but I did have a bottle of Luminous Hydration Body Oil in Citrus Rosemary and I slathered that on in a panic and it worked instantly. This is the most EXPENSIVE option for sure but it does work, just in case you already have some.
RECIPE for your DYI BUG SPRAY
- 4oz. organic catnip leaf extract, or make your own tincture
- 4oz. organic witch hazel extract
- 20 drops organic Atlas cedarwood essential oil
- 20 drops organic lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops organic lavender essential oil
- 20 drops organic rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops organic lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops organic lemon essential oil
- (OR PURCHASE BUG BLEND ESSENTIAL OIL from if you don't have all of the above)
- Pour both catnip extract and witch hazel extract into an 8 oz. bottle.
- Slowly drip the essential oils into the bottle.
- Cap the bottle and shake vigorously to combine.
- Store in the refrigerator with tight-fitting lid. Mixture will be shelf-stable for up to a year when stored properly.
So will you choose to purchase some of the options I have offered or just make your own? For me, I will just continue to buy some of the pre-mades. I love that regardless of what you choose, there are NON-toxic options.
This is another website to read some more... Why Most Bug Sprays Are Actually Dangerous | Coral Safe I am an affiliate and do not support them in anyway- but I like their information.
Cheers to Safer Friends!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.